Monday, September 30, 2013

I Think They Know What They Are Doing.


     “This lady has a door big enough for both of us, but she won’t let me on, and now I’m frozen and dead.”                   

                                         -Titanic

 

                It occurred to me last week at work as I was standing in a taupe room, wearing beige and eating vanilla ice cream cake, what exactly my biggest pet peeve is. This is the heavyweight champ, the lord of the dance, and I didn’t even know it. It isn’t mean people or nails on a chalkboard or people from Vermont. It isn’t teeth grinding or nail biting or close-talking. Nay, kind reader, it is cliché hunting.

 

And it’s everywhere.

 

 I stood there, in that room, like every other room in the building (most likely painted by either a colorblind or a masochist) eating ice cream and fake smiling. I was watching the people I work with usher the retiring receptionist off into oblivion, not with a bang but with a whimper. A twenty five year Sisyphus like climb up a hill with no reward, save the piece of cake with the blue flower frosting. I stood there, and I listened. I heard the nonsense spill from their mouths, and suddenly something occurred to me. Then and there I realized that it wasn’t the content of the stupid things they say to me and everyone else on a daily basis, it was the fact that it was recycled. Not just by them, over and over, but clearly from other sources. They obviously hear a “you know what they say” here or a “would you look at that” there and think, “that sounds like something I would say. I’m going to repeat it.”

You’ve seen it, you’ve probably done it. It’s okay to be the guy who “came into buy milk and just LOOK what happened”, guy once or twice, just for something to say in the checkout line to the awkward sixteen-year-old that’s selling you your sustenance. Maybe you throw a “if you don’t like the weather in New England, you know what they say, just wait five minutes” into a conversation about the weather just to tide you over. (They didn’t say that by the way, Mark Twain did).

 

But like any addiction it will start small, and it will grow, and you will lose control.

 

               

You start chasing bigger and bigger clichés, bigger thrills as you tango with the “I knew you when you were only THIS tall” or the “Same shit different day, am I right?” and you can’t stop yourself. Like a bull in a china shop you’re eventually saying things like “like a bull in a china shop” and all of a sudden you realize you speak completely in idioms and there is no stopping you.

You’ve gathered every cliché you’ve ever heard, you’re the best damn hunter in the land and now it’s time to leave Jumanji to hunt the most dangerous game. Nobody can stop you, nobody can talk smaller in small talk, there isn’t a person alive that can enter or leave a conversation with the dripping, soulless repetition that you can.

You’re the resident “funny guy” at the office because you’ve started inventing your own tired catchphrases, huh? How are you, Mark? “Just another day in paradise, buddy.” Yeah, is it Mark? Because that’s the 200th time you’ve said that to me, and I’m starting to ponder casting you out of Eden.

Just remember, when you hear yourself say the words, “Jeez, you know, you give some people an inch and they’ll take a mile, huh?” you should always follow them with, “I need help”.

You might say, hey there Siz, it’s just people making conversation, what’s the big deal? The big deal is that it isn’t just people making conversation it is people interacting with the world around them in the laziest possible way. Getting out of bed in the morning and putting on your pants is not a recognized form of accomplishment, you have to turn your brain on and open your fucking eyes, otherwise you are just in the way, and I have absolutely no time for you.

Don’t think I’ve forgotten about you, hipsters. Yeah, you, the one reading this saying, “yeah, I mean, I do that, but I do it ironically to be funny because I get how over-used they are, I understand that they colloquial metaphor has been…” Yep, time for you to shut the fuck up, douche. These things have been made ironic and non-ironic so many times nobody even understands which one they are anymore which makes them redundant, like most things you like… or do you not like them now? I can’t tell anymore and this is a rant for another day.

In summation, here’s a short list of phrases you are no longer allowed to say, and a brief explanation of why you are no longer allowed to say them, excluding the ones already discussed. Enjoy.

 

“Jesus, I remember when gas cost…”       Yes, gasoline is expensive. Yes, it used to be less expensive. Everyone realizes this, stop pointing it out.

 

When I was your age…”     When you were my age was everything as inevitably boring as what is going to follow that sentence?

 

“It’s nice to be important but it’s more important to be nice”  No it isn’t. It’s way more important to be important. What fucking world do you live in? Important people crush nice people all the time. Definitely choose important if you have the option.

 

“Money doesn’t buy you happiness, you know”. Yes it does.

 

“You gotta play the hand you’re dealt”  No you don’t, in poker you can give cards back, so what you just said? It stupid.

 

“Yeah, I’ll put a bug in his ear about it”  Why would you put a bug in somebody’s ear? That one has never made sense to me…

 

“Jeez, open mouth insert foot”  No, don’t open mouth.

 

 

 

 

And there are many more I’m sure you will hear throughout your day, just make sure you aren’t the guy saying them, because then I hate you.

 

1 comment:

  1. The worst thing about it is this: new and interesting events have the effect of time upon the mind (paraphrasing Jimmy Cooper there) so that when you see something over and over again time starts to slip away if every day is filled with blandness you will not live a day in twenty years.

    Do much, travel far, see everything. Do not stop and smell the roses, stop and smell the fucking amazon river and fight anacondas.

    That's why there are people like us and people like them, people like us read Hemingway, people like them listen to John Meyer.

    ReplyDelete